Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Creative Response, B.

During Welding With Children, many questions came up that one would like to ask the author about.

Q: Was this story purely fiction, or do you have four grandchildren of your own that you based their behaviors off of?
A: I do not have grandchildren of my own, but i took their characters off of all modern day children. Each of them are caught up in the latest technology and gossip about their favorite celebrities.

Q: Do you wish someone would teach children nowadays religion instead of allowing all the freedom that they have?
A: Without doubt. Children believe that they do not need religion because it is not the "popular" thing to do. Because all of their friend's parents allow them to stay out until midnight, that doesn't mean that they should all be allowed to. If all of these kids become delinquents, and we allow them, who are we going to have to run our society in the later years.

Q: Was Burton's "cleaning up his act" relate to anything in your personal life?
A: Well, I assume you could compare it to me. I have had some problems in my earlier life, and I needed to straighten out myself before i ruined what i had. It worked out for me as well as Burton, so I guess it does relate to my own life.

Q: Why was Burton embarrassed when he took his children to the department store? What would he care what others thought of him?
A: In that part of the story, Burton represented any older person that grew up with strict discipline, little to no technology, and lots of religion. Many older people would be embarrassed with the way the children were acting out and not being "perfect little angels" like grandparents like to see in their grandchildren. He cared what other people thought of him just like any other person would in his situation. No one wants to feel belittled by anyone, especially total strangers giving dirty looks due to children.

No comments: